+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pavers against a foundation??

Thanks

Default Pavers against a foundation??

Well....My next job on the schedule is a small 225 sq patio. The client is requesting that the pavers be laid to the house. My big concern is two...damage to the foundation due to compaction equipment....or on the flip side inadequate compaction due to not being able to compact within X amount of feet to the foundation. What are your thoughts on this? My base is going to be geo tex, 6 inches of RCA, and an inch of concrete sand.. in case u think it makes any difference.

My second concern is.. if i do lay to the house, aside from wrapping my geotex up the side, should i be putting any type of a flashing or sealant?

Im tempted to try and talk him out of it but thought i would see what some of you guys thought.
    ICPI certified, Techo-Pro Contractor

Thanks

I don't think standard compaction equipment will do any damage if the foundation is in good shape. I wouldn't take a vibratory roller against the foundation, but it should be able to withstand walk-behind equipment.

If you are going up against the concrete foundation, you'll be fine just wrapping the geo-tex up the side. If you are going up against any siding/sheeting material, then yes, you'll need to flash it somehow. I'll assume the obvious that you will slope the pavers away from the house.....

Thanks

My Social Networking

Add joeymaze on Facebook

I agree with danf, if it is just a basic ground level patio you won't have any problems as long as the patio is sound. If you are ever in a situation were you are building a raised patio with lifts, It is a good idea to place a wall 2'-3' away from the foundation and fill and compact on both sides. This takes a lot of the lateral pressure off of the foundation.
    Joe

ICPI Certified
    NCMA Certified
    Cambridge Pro Certified Contractor
    www.imagastonelanddesign.com

Thanks

My Social Networking

Follow GDK On Twitter Add GDK on Facebook

No damage....but to be completely honest, i dont like the look...i would much rather see a planting bed in between or something

Thanks

I agree, he plans on using some stone in other places and i would much rather see a planting bed or some stone in between to break it up a bit. I'll see what he thinks.

Thanks

Pavers against a foundation are typically not a problem, but there is a new detail out there that depicts a new installation method with regards to how high up a foundation you can go. I believe you must stay 6" below the sill plate and in the case of steps you must build them with a drainage/air gap behind them to allow the house to dry properly. Engineers have found that a chemical reaction takes place between pavers/concrete products and the zinc in typical flashing causing it to dissolve the flashing and expose the sill plate to the elements.

Thanks

CG is there an ICPI document on it?

Thanks

No, but I cave a construction detail

Thanks

Chris can you email it to me . info@creativehardscapes.biz. Thank you.
    Josh
    Creative Hardscapes
    NCMA certified

Thanks

Here ya go.
    Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread